We've been hit by summery weather for weeks now in London, and I've been enjoying myself compiling reggae favourites. I had so many tracks that I had to separate them into vaguely themed groups, the first one being comprised of vocal groups. I've cheated a bit here, as some tracks aren't really much more than two part harmonies, and not all the tracks are by recognised vocal groups, but it all hangs together quite nicely. I think all the tracks are fabulous, but there are some of my all-time favourites in here; namely The Congos, Israel Vibration and the masterpiece that is 'Mystery Babylon' by The Heptones.
Hot weather is not necessary to enjoy this glorious music, but it does help. Also, that isn't London in the picture: I don't know where it is, but I would very much like to be floating on that boat listening to these tunes.
Album artist on all tracks = 'White Dot Reggae vocal groups'
1. The Congos - Don't Blame On I [V/A - Arkology]
2. The Upsetters - Natty Take Over [Baffling Smoke Signal]
3. Yabby You - Conquering Lion [Conquering Lion]
4. Culture - Natty Dread Naw Run [Cumbolo]
5. Byron Lee - Rat Race [The Essential...]
6. The Heptones - Mystery Babylon [Unreleased Black Ark Sessions]
7. The Meditations - Rebounce [I Love Jah]
8. The Gladiators - Dreadlocks The Time Is Now [Proverbial Reggae]
9. African Brothers - Hold Tight [V/A - Randy's 17 North Parade]
10. Watty & Tony - Rise & Shine [V/A - Rastafari Liveth In The Hearts...]
11. Lee Perry - Dyon Anaswa [Return Of The Super Ape]
12. Israel Vibration - I'll Go Through [The Same Song]
13. The Abyssinians - Abednigo [Satta Massagana]
14. Black Brothers - School Children [V/A - Studio One Roots]
15. The Gladiators - Belly Full [Trenchtown Mix Up]
Worlds made from nothingness.
1 week ago